The purpose of using the repeater is to enhance the signal strength received from the router. The repeater is used mainly at big offices or homes where one router can’t cover the whole area. Though this feature is not available in all the routers but you can confirm it from the experts or from the guided manual.
- Connect the Netgear router to the computer using the Ethernet cable.
- Open the router login page and click on the ‘Netgear genie setup as extender’ link. You will be directed to the respective page.
- Enter the username and password to log in.
- Over to wireless settings and click on the name of the network.
- Select ‘WEP’ from the encryption type. You need to enter the security key for the configuration of encryption.
- Select ‘Wireless repeater’ which is just given under ‘Netgear setup wizard WiFi range extender’.
- Note down the Mac address.
- Connect the cable to the modem and the router.
- Login to the Netgear modem and select all the settings like mode, security and channel number.
- Note down the IP address of your router.
- Open the ‘Repeater function’ of the Netgear device and check the Mac address that is being displayed on the screen. Go to ‘Repeating wireless function’.
- Enter the IP address of the router that you noted earlier and uncheck the box given next to ‘Disable wireless client’.
- Enter the Mac address in the base station field. Click ‘Apply’ to save the applied changes.
- Remove the cable from the router and login to the network using a username and password.
- Disable the ‘Wireless client association’ option and select a Mac address for the required field.
- Click ‘Apply’ to finish the process.
If you don’t know the default username and password of the router, then enter ‘Admin’ and ‘Password’ in two fields.
This is how you can use the modem as a repeater for your home or office network. If you are still having any problem in this regard, you can contact the Netgear experts.